Seizures aren’t always caused by epilepsy. Sometimes they’re brought on by other factors. At the AdventHealth, formerly Florida Hospital, Neuroscience Institute, our multidisciplinary approach helps assess seizures from a variety of perspectives, so we can gain a precise understanding of your condition and make an accurate diagnosis.
Some of the ways we can assess your condition include:
- Blood Tests — To screen for genetic and metabolic disorders or conditions such as diabetes, anemia, infections and poisoning
- Brain Imaging — Computed tomography (CT scans), positron emission tomography (PET scans) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRIs)
- Electroencephalograms (EEGs) — To measure electrical activity in the brain and possibly reveal abnormalities
- MEG (Magnetoencephalography) — The first and only incisionless functional brain-imaging technology in the state of Florida
- Medical History — To see if seizures have occurred before and assess symptoms
- Neurological Testing — Measuring intellectual capability, reflexes, motor skills and behavior
Other tests for epilepsy include kidney and liver function tests and an examination of spinal fluid. Whatever your special case requires, our experts will personalize a diagnostic and treatment plan for you to move beyond seizures toward whole-person health.